Are Cochlear Implants Right for You?
First, let’s talk a little bit about what cochlear implants are. In a nutshell, they’re small, surgically placed electronic devices to help you hear. They include an external part behind the ear and an internal part under the skin that do the work of the damaged inner ear. They can improve your speech understanding when hearing aids are no longer satisfactory.
Some key steps to better hearing through cochlear implants:
- Step 1 — Hearing evaluation, with testing completed at Chesapeake Hearing Centers to assess candidacy.
- Step 2 — Medical and surgical consultation to discuss the surgical process and complete necessary preoperative testing.
- Step 3 — Surgery, typically involving outpatient surgery usually lasting about two hours of surgical time with only a small incision.
- Step 4 — Activation of the cochlear implants, which typically occurs three to four weeks after surgery and includes programming the devices, reviewing how to use them, and more.
- Step 5 — Better hearing on the horizon, with post-activation follow-up appointments and aural rehabilitation. Our expert team works with you to help you get the most from your cochlear implants and continue the exciting journey to hearing your best.
Interested in learning more about the benefits of cochlear implants? Please contact us today. We’re here to help!